The concise, easy-to-understand Neurology for the Speech-Language Pathologist, 7th Edition provides you with a practical guide for the study and understanding of neurology as it relates to human communication and the study of speech-language pathology (SLP). Correlated with clinical syndromes and diseases seen in SLP, it gives you a solid understanding of the nervous system, including development of the nervous system, organization of the brain, protective mechanisms, descending motor and ascending sensory pathways, and cranial nerves.
Case studies and clinical applications provide students with realistic diagnostic and therapeutic applications.
Complex information is clearly presented in a concise, easy-to-understand manner.
Clinical emphasis throughout makes this text valuable as students move into professional practice and prepare for the Praxis exam.
Evolve companion website has vocabulary flashcards and study questions with answers so students can assess their knowledge.
Key terms in each chapter and an end-of-text glossary give students easy access to accurate, concise definitions.
New To This Edition:
NEW! Content on the networks of the brain.
NEW! Content on the reticular activating system, memory types, and altered mental status.
NEW! Section on prematurity.
NEW! Expanded discussion of RNA.
Revised content throughout provides students with the most up-to-date information they need to be an effective practitioner.
Updated references ensure content is current and applicable for today’s students.
1. Introduction to Speech-Language Neurology
2. Organization of the Nervous System I
3. Organization of the Nervous System II
4. Neuronal Function in the Nervous System
5. Neurosensory Organization
6. Neuromotor Control of Speech
7. The Cranial Nerves
8. Clinical Speech Syndromes of the Motor Systems
9. Central Language Mechanisms and Learning
10. Adult Disorders of Language
11. Pediatrics: The Developing Brain
12. Pediatric Clinical Speech Syndromes
13. Pediatric Disorders of Language
Appendix A: Medical Conditions Related to Communication Disorders
Appendix B: Bedside Neurologic Examination
Appendix C: Screening Neurologic Examination for Speech- Language Pathology